Friday, May 17, 2013

Great Gatsby Nails

Whew! It's been a while since I last posted, hasn't it? I've been having one rouughh week. But nail polish makes everything better, right?

 So any of you fans of The Great Gatsby out there know the movie came out last week. I love the book and was totally pumped for the movie, so I designed some Great-Gatsby-themed nails to go along with it. Enjoy the tutorial!



You'll need:
- base coat
- gold polish
- striping tape
- black polish
- green polish
- makeup sponge
- blue polish
- dotting tool
- glow-in-the-dark top coat (optional)
- top coat


Start out with a base coat. First I'll go over the main nails. These are based off of the movie's theme picture. Paint all but your ring finger gold.

Orly - Luxe

Now apply two vertical stripes of striping tape on each gold nail. You can also cut up little pieces of regular tape to use, but it'd take longer. And warning: applying the tape for this one takes a LOT of time. Make sure to set aside a good hour or two for this design!


Now use more striping tape to create three upside-down V's on each nail. Hopefully the picture explains it better than I can:


One nail at a time, paint over the gold and the tape in black, and quickly peel the tape off. Make sure you hurry or the black will get stringy (which happened to me a bit because I was having trouble working fast).

Sally Hansen - Black Heart

Hooray! That's the hard part. Onto the accent nail, which is a representation of the famous green light. Start off by painting the nail solid black.


Now use your makeup sponge to sponge on green, like in the picture below.

Essie - Mojito Madness

Paint about half of the nail blue, leaving a little bit of the green showing.

China Glaze - First Mate

Now right in the center of the green, overlapping the blue a bit, place a solid green dot. If you want to have some fun with it, use a glow-in-the-dark top coat to make the light shine, literally!

Wet N' Wild - Fantasy Makers Glow in Dark

There you have it! Add a top coat, and then clean up any stray polish with a brush dipped in acetone. You're good to go!




And for fun, a picture of my nails in the dark! I'm really loving the glow-in-the-dark thing. 


That's all, folks! I really hope you enjoy this one. It was really fun to have random people recognize these as Great-Gatsby-themed nails. If you haven't seen the movie yet, you definitely should, and don't forget to wear this design when you go! :) 

If you liked this post, make sure to follow here, on Facebook, and on Twitter. Have a wonderful weekend, everyone! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading every one of your comments, and I do my best to respond to each and every one!